A Guide To: Beverley, East Yorkshire

Beverly is the county town of East Yorkshire it lies where the chalk hills of the walls mix the plain of Holdernesse has everything on one side is surrounded by the open parkland of the Westwood has two stunning two fees for Minster and some marriage as well as two marketplaces almost all of its architecture is Georgian thus around 1800 it’s flat and easy to get around however you need to allow a day for a visit we’re entering Beverly across the westward easily accessible from hold your cauldre field but we’re first kentuc it’s a stone is outta sight because it’s hidden by a field hedge on the right just after the roundabout it’s this stone post for a visa round Beverley and mark the limits of ecclesiastical jurisdiction of a minster it dates from around the 12th century those fleeing the law had to touch his cross first and then could seek sanctuary at the Minster the Westwood was created as a result of a dispute between the Minster and local landowners in 1129 of over dispute wasn’t resolved until thirteen eighty if then became open passed Eiland and remained so today there are two developments on it both sporting the racecourse at left was established in 1690 in the first grandstand built in 1767 flat racing takes place here about 20 times a year thither development is the golf club although grazing cattle have the priority over the golfers there were also free windmills that ground corn black mill was rebuilt in 1803 and painted in Tartu protected from the elements as we approach the town center on the right is a board which has a date 1836 this lists the rules and regulations regarding the Westwood the land is managed by the plasti masters who rent out invisible fields called gates that allow so many cattle horses even geese that can sustain them here at the traffic lights the town centers at the right but we’re going to turn left down new walk although the first part of road is called north bar without st. John’s Roman Catholic Church at left was built in 1898 as the population of Beverly grew in the 18th century this new road to drew field was laid out in 1778 and became the fashionable part of the town we’re looking at oak house that was built in 1884 a master craftsman called James Elwell and this is where he lived we’ll see more of his work and that of his son artist Fred Elwell James Elwell was also the architect of a house called Pinewood with its distinctive calf panel with a scene from Charles Dickens novel The Closer and a half and with the quote we like to go as near to nature as we can for sixpence you where the grass verge does that’s the start of new walk we’re going as far as the sessions house so called a visit whoever local trials were held lesser misdemeanors were held at the Guildhall which we’ll see later and murders and more serious crimes were held at the Assizes York today the sessions house is a restaurant note in the grounds by the road the unusual public toilet although it is no longer in use so let’s go back to the junction this area is called North Bar due to the entrance gate of that name we’re going to go through it along North bar within to some Mary’s Church before we go through the gate the road ahead wiliest Road bypasses a

town center the road is named after wireless house that was demolished to create it in the 1960s the properties on the corner were Georgian buildings thus around 1800 and were reef fronted in 1883 for James Elwell and was part of his workshop as were the adjoining properties they’re all covered with all sorts of carvings look for more political cartoons of the day this one depicts Prime Minister Benjamin Disraeli as a political cheap-jack it’s dated 1892 vist gable is covered in shields figures a mythical beasts maybe this one represents a green dragon pub that stood in Saturday market the family owned the red brick house of 1795 attached of a bar gate and this is where Fred Elwell had his art studio the very fine house of button the gate on the other side is Amphion house where William Middleton lived he was an architect of many buildings in the town let’s look at the bar gate now Beverly had four or five of these on the main roads in and this is the only one left but they weren’t connected by a wall instead there was a deep ditch with houses lining the town side of it the gate served of purposes there could be closed at night indeed you can still see the doors today on the insider benches on market days collectors will collect the tolls here they’re obviously not designed for modern traffic indeed buses had to be specially designed to go through the gate the pedestrian tunnels neither side are a much later date to buy Amphion house this was built in 1793 and by bar house Fred L Wells home in 1867 by the pedestrian art by Amphion house look at the plaque set in the pavement it tells how much it costs to build the bar gate between 1409 and 1410 96 pounds 11 shillings and 5 pence passing through the bar on the right is a former graveyard extension to some marriage church it opened in 1829 and now called the coronation Gardens opposite on the other side of a road is son Mary’s manor built as a house it has been local government offices and is now apartments back on the other side isn’t Mary’s court a timber frame building of the 15th century and sympathetically restored as a small shopping centre now we come to some Mary’s Church the Minster is at the other end of a town and trained priests and was lovely a closed society server town needed its own church and this was built as a chapel of ease to the Minster and what we see today was built between the 12th and 15th centuries in 1524 tower collapsed and killed a number of people who were there during a service the land around here is unstable because it’s Boulder clay go in the church is open most days it was extensively restored in the 19th century by some major Victorian architects including August’s pujan and Sir George Gilbert Scott as well as notable Yorkshire architects including Cuthbert Broderick and temple Moore the ultra-rare redose was carved by James Elwell in 1881 look under the choir seats in the chancel they date from 1445 the carvings are called Missouri Court misery seats so-called as the priests used to stand leaning against them during the long services there are 28 carvings on the seats and were probably carved at a school of would work at Ripon Cathedral

look up at the ceiling this was painted in 1445 and depicts all the 40 English kings up to that time some are imaginary to fill the remaining gaps the carving of a rabbit on the door surround by the side Chapel well is actually a hare is said to a given Lewis Carroll the author of the classic children’s novel Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland the inspiration for the white rabbit what you couldn’t see coming down the nave as the pillar faces the pulpit is a carving of a group of musicians these are here because Beverly was where the northern guild of minstrels met they probably met annually and played alongside the Mystery Plays enactments of Bible stories at a time when people couldn’t read there are also carvings of musicians at the Minster in or there are around about 140 carvings of musicians in these two churches there are many of the fascinating features here including the font made of frost early marble not real marble but polished limestone that comes from near Durham across the road is the Beverly Arms designed by William Middleton as a grand coaching in and is dated 1794 and built on the site of a Blue Bell where the infamous high woman Dick Turpin stayed was awaiting trial in June 17:37 it was eventually hung at York on the 7th of April 1739 the town center is straight ahead but were turning left to go down Han gate as its name suggests this was once the area of a market where poultry was sold the rear isn’t mayor’s is a war memorial garden the unusual world war one Memorial in the center has at each corner a statue representing the Armed Forces and nursing behind as a smaller World War Two memorial you’ll also see here on a wall a reproduction of a painting by Fred Elwell he lived between 1870 and 1957 some of his paintings of the town are placed in a location where they were painted however this depicts war refugees in this studio by the traffic lights at the end of Han gate is his pub it’s got an old rocking horse above the door as it is officially known as the white horse but locally it’s known as Nellie’s after a landlady who retired in the 1970s the building is a medieval timber frame building and is made of a number of tiny rooms it is very dark inside and still lit by gas lamps we’re going to turn right at the traffic lights the road ahead least a horn see on the coast while this road comes from the left but we’re going to turn right down new Walker gate and then go right again down wakka gate Walker gate is on the right and starts by the bus station but is pedestrian access only from this end on the writers are former arms house for six women was built in 1731 and paid for by William timber and on the left is Walker gatehouse as you can see this was never wealthy part of a town when this was built in 1781 notable owner was industrialist William cross Gil who had a huge iron foundry in the town his name is everywhere look at the base of some of the ornate lamp posts around the town Walker gate was once an industrial area itself the name Walker might be a surname today but a walk in the medieval period was someone who walked or trampled on cloth to felt it in that period Beverly was the 10th richest town in Britain tons of wool were brought here from the Abbey’s in the north be exported to northern Europe where it was made into cloth and then exported back but Edward the third in the early 14th century was having none of it and encouraging English textile industry Beverly was an important inland port he

stands near the river hull and the city of that name ten miles to the south wasn’t properly founded until twelve ninety three by King Edward the first trade gills and lower 38 of them in the early 14th century checked on the quality of merchandise in the town they made trade deals with other northern European countries and oversaw the seven-year long training of apprentices Rhodes the right lead down to the main market square Saturday market which we’ll see at the very end or they lead to the back of shops where Goods can be unloaded Walker gate still is very much a residential area and at the end we meet the principal Street of a town toll gavel the unusual word gavel means toll surreal it is told toll Street will be circling around to the street later on we’re bearing left onto butcher row and heading straight across Wednesday market and down East Gate to the east end of a Minster the town has a huge variety shops from major chains that there are perhaps many more interesting smaller shops both on the Main Street and some of the side streets to explore you this is Wednesday market place is very small by comparison to what it once was it stretched from here all the way down to a Minster they can see in the background at right the area head was eventually filled in with shops and houses and Saturday market then became the principal market since 1997 Saturday market has become so busy that Wednesday market is used again the busy road that crosses from the left was pushed through in 1846 and loose down to the railway station which is on the hull to Scarborough line we’re heading forwards down East Gate the left-hand side would want the boundary of Wednesday market and there’s a mix of housing along the street what was once a car garage on the right still has its old petrol pumps outside the doorway just beyond is the old door the nearby Ferrari that we’re about to visit before the East End of the Minster is reached looked for left for these ornate gates that lead down to the old friary the gates depict two black feathers the Dominican friars were nicknamed Ravens for the black cloaks at their war the feathers also represent the guild of scriveners the quills that

they used to write letters the old fryer is in private grounds that belongs to the youth hostel Association the old buildings are now used for accommodation the Ferrari was established here in 1240 great cathedrals like those at both York and Ripon attracted friar is non arisen of a religious houses indeed there was another Ferrara here that stood where the railway station stands today along with the Abbey’s Ferraris were abolished between 1536 and 1539 it was subsequently divided into cottages until 1972 when it was owned by an industrial company those stood behind and they wanted to demolish it it was saved and has been a youth hostel since 1984 what you’re looking at is the guest accommodation of the Ferrari the chapel has been demolished must have been quite fine inside as there are murals on the walls the lane by the ferrari leads to the east end of a minster but we’re not visiting there yet but taking a bit of a journey to see beverly back a waterway but led down to the river hull and was instrumental to the trade of the town we passed the Sun in opposite the East End that dates from the 1500s now we’re crossing the hall to Scarborough railway line Fleming gate at left as a shopping center that opened in 2015 it takes its name from this street Fleming gate so called because of a medieval woolen trade with the area of Flanders in Belgium this area was once where cross girls iron foundry was and there were also tanneries here you’ll note that all the houses are built of brick there’s a reason for this the town is built an unstable Boulder clay this was left behind at the end of the Ice Age around about 10,000 years ago and if using stone like the Minster and some marries it had to be bought from a great distance loss of the weight of the stone on the unstable clay makes building sink the reason why the tower isn’t marriage collapsed can be made into much lighter bricks and locally made here we are at the back this water cost runs almost to the minster and the stone to build it was brought down here at the back head is a statue that depicts a cruller a man who carried goods between here and the town centre what we see today is the canal that was created in 1802 it leads down to the river hull about ten minutes walk away although Beverly lost its portrait to Hull it was on the river in 1882 but fishing trawlers that could withstand arctic conditions were built the Loess was launched in 1969 and the last ship in 1977 at the end is the barge sin tan that was owned by tannery and is now in the care of the Beverly barged Preservation Society now let’s return to the sender for minster Romans are going to go in a circle clockwise to the south side before we go in the word minster originated church where priests were trained the church here was founded by John of harpin and dedicated to son John the Evangelist his statue is on the East End alongside the medieval patrons the Percy family the most powerful family in the north the church was established around 700 and this is the fourth church to stand on the site the construction of what we see today started in 1220 was rebuilt at the instigation of Walter de gray the then Archbishop of York he was rebuilding York Minster at this time and decided at both ripping cathedra and Beverly Minster should be rebuilt but not as large using the same limestone from tack caster over the quarry seven miles west of York it’s 35 miles from here the stone was brought down the river Warford Tadcaster along the Humber

estuary have been up the river hull to Beverly the Minster should have a central tower but that collapsed under its own weight in 1213 after a fire might be surprised to find a field in the center of the town but this was once the Archbishop of York spell us and that was destroyed around about 1540 moving around to the twin towers on the west front their 160 foot high and built between 13 90 and 1420 there are niches 477 statues no one knows were there or filled and most likely they were destroyed at the Reformation there is only one original left that of Henry Percy First Lord of Northumberland who died in 1408 the stat you’ve seen today were carved between 1897 and 1919 and includes Queen Victoria look there’s one of cross gills lamps all over the tower door is the principal entrance the north door the Highgate door issues today as it faces the town center and was at the top of Wednesday market the Minster controlled the market the inside of the West door has carvings of the four evangelists the font here too is made of frost early marble and dates to around 11:40 although the cover raised and lowered on the pulley is a 1726 but church is 332 feet long and was completed in 1308 the pews have been taken out and stackable chairs are now used so that nave can be used for events in 866 the Vikings invaded and destroyed the church that stood here the founder John of happened his remains were displayed and it’s thought lucky to wear his symbol in 930 for King Athelstan the first king of All England came to Beverly and prayed a John shrine for victory in a battle against an alliance of a Scots and Irish he won and granted Beverley sanctuary status this also led to pilgrims coming to pray at the shrine his bones are kept in a casket near the high altar at the crossing under the tower we’re turning left into the North transept and this is where the shop is we’re passing back underneath the tower there’s a hatch in the ceiling through which stone can be raised and lowered in the south transept there are war memorials to be Yorkshire Regiment they were based in Beverly between 1887 and 1977 today the Army’s school of transport have a base in the town the main memorial is to those who died in World War one and is based on the design of Edward the confessors in Westminster Abbey back at the tower crossing we’re going to enter the choir the screen was designed by Sir George Gilbert Scott and carved by James Elwell and was completed in 1880

look to the left of the altar it’s easy to miss this is a sanctuary chair the oldest item in the Minster but is probably 10th century this is where fugitives were run to sit to gain impunity we know that 469 people did so between 1478 and 1539 the structure next to it the Persie canopy is early 14th century the two modes gone but shows their power as it is adjacent to the high altar you you let’s now have a look at the choir stores they like some Mary’s have carvings underneath the seats coming back down the nor file the stairs today lead nowhere they did lead to the chapter house where priests were trained in order for the minster to continue as a church after 1539 thereby saving it the chapter house had to be destroyed we’re now back at the top of the nave the plaque on the floor is on top of the tomb of Joan of harpy of Joan of Beverly as he is better known he was canonized in 1037 and so confusingly became since John as well he was born at Harper about 20 miles to the north in around 640 and died here on the 7th of May 721 every year on the Sunday nearest of south of May children from his home village of harpin come here and lay a posy of flowers on his grave during a service to which all civic dignitaries of his Yorkshire invited the following week the choruses of Beverly journey to Harper a Roman settlement where they processed from the church and bless the well said to have healing powers although it’s dried up today and it’s dedicated to their Saint before you leave a Minster look at the north wall that runs up to the entrance these missiles are much easier to see but not as ornate as the ones at some Mary’s but there are plenty more you might recognize some of the poses and those who are showing off there are more to see on the nave columns but you need your binoculars we’re going to turn left out of the minsters door and retrace our steps back to the West towers but this time continue straight ahead along Minster Moorgate and at the end we’re turning right onto leg eight and right again back into town along Champney Road we’re passing the former minster school and almost at the end on the right of the Whorton arms houses they were funded by Michael Wharton who left money for them in his will although he died in 1688 the work constructed until 1712 and asila Arms houses today at the bottom we’re turning right and joining the main road between Beverly and Hull what looks like a chapel isn’t it’s a memorial hall to those who died in World War one on the opposite side of a road and set in its own grounds is legate Hall now offices they were built in 1764 Admiral Walker the architect with one of Yorkshire ‘s greatest John Carr of York this street is one way company Road named after John

Champney a textile manufacturer who sold the land around 1900 but paid for the costs of building of a library that opened in 1906 we’re now in the civic quarter the building left across the road is the registry office and we’re still following the library was extended in 2007 with the addition of a treasure house here you can research about local history or visit the museum on the first floor and the art gallery that holds original paintings by Fred Elwell who between fifty five of them to the gallery to the right at the top of the street is a modern Magistrates Court this is where Railway Street that we saw earlier emerges what is now these writing theater was once a Baptist Chapel we’re following the road around to the left this small building was once a gentlemen’s club and built in 1831 but it’s dwarfed by County Hall Beverly has always been the county-town of the East riding with its courts and cooperation the riding was created over a thousand years ago with government reorganisation in 1889 the town became the official administer Center for the County Council in 1996 it was renamed the East Riding of Yorkshire council the hall itself was completed in 1891 the are building on the right was built as a school the square school as the air in front was a square before County Hall was built straight ahead is told gavel which will be coming to but first we’re turning left at the end of County Hall and this imposing building at the end is the guild hall the building has a long history you can visit it’s open on a Wednesday and a Friday between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m the frontage is the most modern part of a building it dates from 1832 inside the courtroom is on the ground floor was remodeled in 1760 by architect William Middleton but the building is even older the corporation bought it in 1501 many parts of the building like this would work here is even older the court room is unchanged since 1762 and although no longer in use the new Magistrates Court serves that function broadcast companies like to film period dramas here no expenses spared in 1762 the ornate plasterwork ceiling was by eminent Italian decorative plaster yeeess epic Court az a tiny steep staircase at the rear leads up to the magistrates room where the old benches locally called a [ __ ] the magistrate sat on the upper level and this clerks lower down on either side back on the ground floor is a community museum of photographs and artifacts kept over the centuries let’s go back to the end of the street we’re about to join told gavel again and go around subtly market and end at the ornate Market Cross as the most important street it has the biggest and most lavish lamp it has a snake coiled around it again it came from the cross Gill ironworks and was given to the town when the family were mares between 1875 and 1883 there are another two snakes nearby on this retail shop just beyond whistles wants a chemist’s and snakes are a symbol of a Greek god of medicine each Phyllis the street was pedestrianised in 1982 look to the right here down here is a Methodist Church of 1891

at the bottom we’ll look out onto Saturday market this is where the market still takes place on that day of a week and fills the whole of this square we’re going to go round it anti-clockwise what looks were being built say between 17 18 19 20 might not have been the yorkshire Bank was built in the 1970s but to match what stood there earlier the King’s Head in the corner is original and dates through mid 18th century and this area of a market is called Corn Hill Saturday market was crate around 1300 when the Wednesday market proved too small wasn’t paved and became very muddy and wet weather and it was laid with stone set in 1881 to keep shoppers feet dry the vivid terra cotta building facing is the former Corn Exchange that was built in 1886 and in its history has doubled as a cinema and since 2003 is the exclusive Yorkshire department store Browns have a cream-colored telephone boxes well yes they are whole and Beverly of early places in Britain but have had their own telephone company since 1902 the pub on the corner and the shops beyond a call the butter dings they were built on the site of the dairy market and end at sow Hill a former pig market photonic structure head is our final destination the market cross beyond we can see the tower absent marriage church all markets had to have a charter beverly’s dates from around 1100 and would have been a simple post or cross this was replaced in 1714 by this very only canopied structure it was paid for by the town’s two MPs at the time Sir Charles Hotham and some Michael Wharton the cross displays their coat of arms as well as that of Beverley which incorporates a beaver the name actually means beaver clearing the plaque on top has a red Indian with feathers on his head and surrounded by drums Trump guns and cannons the other arms are those of Queen Anne who is ven on the throne the canopy roof protected farmers wives who sold butter and cheese underneath the ornate market cross if you enjoyed this film on Beverly howden and hidden a nearby although smaller they are just as interesting we’re always putting new content upon our channel so be sure to stay in touch thanks for watching and hope to see you soon